Have you ever been called cheap? How do you differentiate between frugal and cheap. It seems to me, being frugal is generally a positive thing that gives you a warm, fuzzy feeling. On the other hand, being cheap is almost considered deceitful or shameful behavior. When does frugal become cheap? These thoughts came to mind after a friend jokingly told me I was too cheap to turn the heat on in my house (for the record, it’s a cool, but comfortable 17 C). I like to think that most of the time I’m frugal, but I know that sometimes I end up on the other side of the fuzzy line between frugal and cheap – like when I cut open toothpaste tubes to get out the very last smidgeon of toothpaste.
Here are some things I consistently cheap out on:
- TV. I refuse to pay for tv channels. This may because I was raised with the four free (five, if the weather was right) channels we got off the antenna, but whatever the reason, I will not pay for cable or satellite tv.
- Exercise clothes. No lululemons for this girl. 10 dollar yoga pants from Walmart is more my style. Why would I pay $80+ for clothes I’ll be sweating in? If there were some sort of magical yoga pant that would make planks easier, well, then maybe I would consider putting more cash towards it.
- Electricity. My friends joke that I would be happiest in a cave. The only light on in my house is on in the room I am in. The dark doesn’t bother me, so I’m content with minimal lighting. What makes me really feel like I’m cheaping out on electricity is that I try and make sure I always charge my iPad and phone at work. Yeah, that definitely seems cheap.
- iPad apps. I don’t really know why I feel such an aversion to paying for an app. I know that like anything else, someone has put effort and time into making an app, and they deserve to be compensated for it. But man, a whole $1.99?
- Drinks. I never, ever, ever order anything other than water at a restaurant if I’m footing the tab. I love a good glass of Coke, but paying for a glass that would buy me a 2L bottle of the stuff makes my teeth grind and my wallet snap shut.
There you have it, some prime examples of my own ridiculousness. While I will admit to being cheap sometimes, I’m not entirely sure that I want to change that…
What do you cheap out on? Have you ever been called cheap?