Har-de-har-har, aren’t I just a laugh and a half with my clever wordplay. Wordplay aside, I am looking forward to March. I have my fingers crossed that the weather will turn around, because February seemed so dull, dreary and grey weather-wise. I’m itching to get out and get my yard cleaned up and start my outdoor projects. I have been waiting all winter to get into my little shed and clean it out. I really, really, really want to get rid of the smelly hockey equipment that the previous owner of the place left for me. Yuck. I think the smell has kept the critters out of it at least, but I’ll have to wait for a sunny day with a bit of east wind (got to keep the smell away from the house) to drag those hockey bags out and air them out.
Budget wise, February was brutal. I had grand plans for February to be a no-spend month, but I absolutely and totally blew it. I am pretty disgusted at how much money I spent this month. Mind you, some of the expenses are necessary evils, like taxes, but a lot of the spending was just stupidity on my part. Here’s where I spent my money:
Quite a bit of red there ‘eh? I spent more on gas this month because I had to drive more than I usually do and gas prices are up around the $1.29/L in these parts. As well, my car desperately need a new air filter and oil change which I think were effecting the gas efficiency. Hopefully next month will be a little less.
- Restaurants: Only went out once, but ended up paying the tab for my sister and friend. We went out for lunch when we visited the butterfly conservatory. My friend drove, so I offered to get the tab for lunch.
- Service and Parts: My car went in for an oil change and new filter. While it was in the shop, I had the mechanic pull off the brakes and clean them out – glad I did, because all four were full of stones, salt and grit. No wonder the brakes were ‘thumpy’ these last couple weeks.
- Gift: for a baby shower I forgot about when I was making my February budget.
- Book: I know, I know, I said I wasn’t going to buy any books this year. This is my one exception – it’s a book of personal stories from the tornado last year, with the proceeds going to Victim Services. It’s a really interesting read, and for a good cause.
- Personal Care: Bought a diva cup, and stocked up on other items that relate to hygiene or my attempts at beautifying myself.
- Clothing: We didn’t just go to the butterfly conservatory, we also popped over to the outlet mall. The Gap had 60% off, so I got: three shirts, a skirt and a sweater. I also got a pair of sweatpants at the Roots outlet.
- Uncategorized: I bought some craft supplies at Michaels, some stuff for my house (like a kitchen mat) and made two charity donations.
There you have it, everywhere I strayed last month. In the good moves I made column, I did contribute $3000 to my RRSP and $2000 to my TFSA. I’m going to start March off with a $1000 contribution to my emergency fund, as well.
How did I do on my other February goals? Well, pretty much as sucky as I did on my financial goals.
- Get all the measurements for the basement/kitchen/stairs reno and start a couple design options. MULLIGAN – I got the measurements done, sketched one design which won’t work, but discussed another with Dad which seems like it may be do-able. I’m going to make a Google SketchUp model of the design this weekend.
- Get all the canvas off the inside/outside of my trunk – FAIL. Almost done the outside, but I ran into some trouble with the canvas around the handles. Didn’t touch the inside of the trunk.
- Complete the February photo challenge – PASS.
- Make a spring cleaning list for the inside and the outside of my place FAIL. Thought about all the spring cleaning tasks, but failed to write any of them down.
- Don’t buy: clothes, home decor stuff, or any extras (one exclusion: foundation, because I’m going to run out) – SUPER FAIL.
- Calculate my net worth. FAIL. No excuse here, just never did it. It’s on my to-do list for this weekend though.
In light of my less than stellar accomplishments in February, I’m going to turn things around in March. I have printed this post off to remind me that I need to shape up.
How was your February? Anything you’re looking forward to in March?