I am going on a shopping ban.
Y’see, for the last couple of months it seems I have been unable to control my spending. It’s not that I’m replacing my wardrobe every month or anything like that, it’s just that I seem to do doing lots of little shopping trips here and there and it’s adding up. Looking back over my receipts, it’s pretty easy to pick out a pattern: every time I go to the city, I end up going shopping and buying either clothes or stuff for my house.
It doesn’t help that I’ve been to the city much more than usual in the last couple months. It’s just so tempting and easy to go visit the mall or big box stores and buy something that I can’t get locally. Just last week I was in Toronto for a workshop and my coworker and I decided to visit Ikea – and guess who comes out with a cart full of stuff and $200 less in my bank account. Yeah, this girl. Not one of my shining moments, that’s for sure.
I usually try and justify my mini-shopping sprees by telling myself
- ‘It’s ok, I don’t come to the city that often’ – when really, I usually end up in a city at least once a month.
- ‘It’s ok, I’m not buying much’ – but a little here and there tends to add up really quickly.
- ‘I need x, y, z’ – I’ve lived without x, y, z so far and can seemingly function without it.
I feel like I’m regressing – although, it’s not at a point where I’m spending more than I’m earning, it’s just I’m not saving as much as I would like to. I’ve got a deck renovation and a major overhaul of the basement coming up and I want those to happen sooner rather than later. The only way that can happen is if I buckle down and save. I think rather than just going with a blanket shopping ban, I’m going to set myself some rules and exceptions:
- No jeans, shoes, scarves, tops, sweaters, jackets, skirts, dresses from hence forth. The only clothing item I’m allowed to buy until the end of July are socks.
- No home decor items shall be bought. Only necessary home items allowed: lightbulbs, batteries, etc.
- I will allow myself to print 15 photos for two frames that I have recently purchased.
- No makeup. I have more than enough make up.
- Exception: sunscreen and bug spray. I allow myself to buy in bulk if necessary.
- Gifts are exempt. This shouldn’t be too bad though, no upcoming July birthdays, just a couple bridal showers.
- No DVDs/games. I really really want Season 2 of Justified, but I will restrain myself.
Those are my rules. Pretty strick, but I’m going to try my damnest to keep my wallet closed. Anyone else out there on a shopping ban, or has done one recently? Any tips, thoughts, or words of encouragement?
Have a good ‘un